Friday, September 14, 2012

Some book suggestions :)

Hello fellow readers! What's up? Since there's not many posts on this blog I thought I'd suggest you some really awesome books to read.
Of all the books I read recently, only a few were really good (sadly), so I'm gonna write a few titles with the relative cover of the book and a synopsis, so you can see if you like any. ;)



Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Title: Obsidian
Series: Lux (book one)

Synopsis:
"Starting over sucks.When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.And then he opened his mouth.Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. The hot alien living next door marks me.You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. If I don't kill him first, that is."


This is a really good book I'd come across a few months ago, but I decided to read it only last week. I'm not going to write a review of it now, but just a few points in its favor:

  • The main character is great. Her name is Katy, she takes not shit and she's funny.
  • Daemon is hot. Like, really really hot. JLA really knows how to write a good MC.
  • The storyline is pretty good, too, and you'll find your eyes glued to the book.
  • I liked it, so of course it's good. haha ;)



Author: John Green
Book: Looking for Alaska

Synopsis:
"A deeply affecting coming-of-age story, Looking for Alaska traces the journey of Miles Halter, a misfit Florida teenager who leaves the safety of home for a boarding school in Alabama and a chance to explore the "Great Perhaps." 
Miles has a quirky interest in famous people's last words, especially François Rabelais's final statement, "I go to seek a Great Perhaps." Determined not to wait for death to begin a similar quest, Miles convinces his parents to let him leave home. Once settled at Culver Creek Preparatory School, he befriends a couple of equally gifted outcasts: his roommate Chip―commonly known as the Colonel—who has a predilection for memorizing long, alphabetical lists for fun; and the beautiful and unpredictable Alaska, whom Miles comes to adore. 
The kids grow closer as they make their way through a school year filled with contraband, tests, pranks, breakups, and revelations about family and life. But as the story hurtles toward its shattering climax, chapter headings like "forty-six days before" and "the last day" portend a tragic event―one that will change Miles forever and lead him to new conclusions about the value of his cherished "Great Perhaps."


When people hear the name "John Green", in light of recent facts, they immediately think of The Fault in Our Stars. At least, that's what happens to me whenever I mention this genius.
Anyway, the first book I read by this terrific author is this one. Looking for Alaska. I read it at the beginning of this year and loved it completely. It's one of those book that, if seen from the right perspective, can change your life. It did change my life. I'll never see things the same as I did before.
I can't remember the first time I heard of this book, it all happened pretty casually. One day, I came across a quote, I don't know where I was nor do I remember which quote it was. But I liked it so much that I decided to look it up and see where it was from. And boom! It was from this very book. I then decided to read it, and got hold of a copy, but for some reason I post-poned its reading for several months. If not a year or two. Anyway, at last I picked it up once and for all and started reading, and afterward cursed myself for having waited for so long. It's good in a way, though, because I'm afraid if I'd read it sooner I wouldn't have seen some parts of the story as I do now.


Author: Tabitha Suzuma
Book: Forbidden

Synopsis:
"She is pretty and talented - sweet sixteen and never been kissed. He is seventeen; gorgeous and on the brink of a bright future. And now they have fallen in love. But... they are brother and sister.
Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alcoholic, wayward mother to take care of their three younger siblings. As defacto parents to the little ones, Lochan and Maya have had to grow up fast. And the stress of their lives—and the way they understand each other so completely—has also also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love. Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right."




To those who are pretty shocked at the words "they are brother and sister" and don't intend in any way to read this book, please hear me out first. (and all the other who are interested should, though)
Forbidden is a story about incest, as it's clearly understandable from the synopsis. Incest is something not at all accepted in most societies, and people don't even wonder why. I mean, it's incest. It's sick.
That's what I thought until last year, when I finally decided to give this book a try and see where it was going. And man did it go somewhere. A particular scene in the book made me reflect. Maya was talking to her friend and she was talking about hypothetical forbidden relationships, and while her friend is of the opinion that two people who love each other should be together, the hypothesis or two siblings being together doesn't even cross her minds. That's the fact, that's what struck me the most about this book. In our society, we are so sure we allow (or not) all types of love, but actually we don't. Some of those loves sound just so wrong that we can't even think about them.





----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Okay, three books that I really like are out here for you now. Take your pick. They are reeeally good, trust me. If the one about incest bothers you, then you can always try one of the other two.
These books are in order, 

  • paranormal YA
  • YA and coming of age
  • (an innovative kind of) Young Adult romance and Drama

So all YA for today (woot! a rhyme). I hope you like my suggestions!
Have a nice day ~








No comments:

Post a Comment